Thank you to everyone who joined NEWIN and BeCause Water for the inaugural Water Pitch Night held at TechHub in Somerville, MA on Wednesday, September 16th!
The event brought together 70 people representing over 45 companies, universities, startups, nonprofits and investment groups from across the New England area to network, celebrate the local entrepreneurial spirit, and hear from five leading local startups about their water innovation and technology. Water Pitch Night was a great success and highlighted the strength of the local water cluster community and our network’s interest in innovation, startups and water technology.
Water Pitch Competition
Five water startups pitched their technology and innovative water solutions at Water Pitch Night. Congratulations to OptiRTC for placing first in the pitch competition and to all the startups for their excellent pitches! The five startups that pitched include:
- OptiRTC: Opti is building the Internet of Stormwater to protect our water resources. Opti implements stormwater management technologies which control the rate of stormwater flow to prevent raw sewage in natural bodies.
- Cerahelix: Cerahelix and the helix NFM™ is based on a patented process that uses DNA to make a nano-ceramic coating to provide faster filtration at high purity. Cerahelix is developing a patented ceramic filter, the Picohelix™, to remove dissolved solids for softening and concentrating applications, and recovery of valuable by-products.
- Aquagen ISI: AquaGen ISI is a wastewater treatment system that offers sustainable and cost-efficient solutions through a membrane-photobioreactor process. The AquaGen ISI integrated sustainable community infrastructure system is the only standardized integrated energy, waste and process water system on the market today.
- SafeWell: SafeWell is a Primary Care Provider for the annual inspection, measurement, and testing of residential wells. The service technicians inspect, test and measure well conditions on-site and take samples for further analysis in the lab. SafeWell interprets water quality results and provide guidance on mitigation measures to take.
- Aquaback Technologies: Aquaback Technologies is solving the world’s water crisis with an innovative distiller that uses vapor compression technology and converts up to 99% of input water into purified water. Aquaback’s technological breakthroughs enable truly safe water recycling, which increases water supply and effectively addresses water scarcity at any scale.
If you missed Water Pitch Night this September and would like to participate be sure to stay tuned for our Water Pitch Night in October at TechHub! If you are a local New England water startup and you would like to apply to be a Water Pitch Night pitcher, please reach out to Nicole DeSantis at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Special thank you to Matt and the team at BeCause Water for their enthusiasm to jump in and make this event happen, to Simon and the team at TechHub for providing the fantastic event space and Harpoon Beer for the event, to our key sponsors Gradiant Corporation and MassCEC for their generous sponsorship, and to the MIT Water Club and CleanTechOpen promotion and support.
Full List of Attendees at Water Pitch Night
Aquaback Technologies, Inc.
Boston Architectural College
Harvard Business School
Health to Know
Massachusetts Clean Energy Center
New England Clean Energy Council (NECEC)
New England Water Innovation Network (NEWIN)
North Shore InnoVentures
Redwood Innovation Partners
Strategic Water Resources
Underground Energy, LLC
Wastewater Advisory Committee
Water Supply Citizens Advisory Committee to the MWRA
Woodard and Curran
Zapotec Energy, Inc.